Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Plein-ish Air

Since the spouse is a serious photographer and I make pictures the really old-fashioned way, it seemed like a really good idea for me to work up some plein-air skills so we could go to locations together and both have some artsy activity once we got there. Last year I acquired a super cute little pochade box to help with this, but we still haven't done too much art travel.
Last week, while on a stay-cation, we meant to put our plan into practice.
We visited three state parks, but the wind was so fierce that doing actual plein-air work was out of the question. So I ended up using the camera, too, and working up a few views from my photos. This particular view was from Mother Neff State Park.
I purposely shot landscapes without distinguishing features or dramatic scenery. Not sure where I'm going with that, but I do know that I want my landscapes to be quiet and the opposite of exotic: something anyone in this part of the country might see any day.
Hmmm. Those Texas cedars look like they owe a bit to Van Gogh's cypresses!

No comments: